While it might surprise you to find an area of high crime and low income in Lakeland, FL, Tim Mitchell lives there. The Parker Street neighborhood and its people are, for the most part, broken, forgotten, and marginalized. But for the last ten years, Tim Mitchell has been working to change by seeking to reconcile the individuals in this neighborhood to one another, to the world around them, and to God. Parker Street Ministries is characterized by a staff and friends who intentionally live in this neighborhood to transform it from the inside out as well as offer programs including: afterschool academic enrichment, academic summer camp, a housing initiative, neighborhood mentorship and mercy, annual Christmas store, and regular block and neighborhood parties.
What God has accomplished through Parker Street:
- Serving K-8th graders in after-school programs.
- Provided swimming lessons for hundreds kids during the summer.
- Trained high school students to be classroom leader assistants.
- Multiple home renovations completed.
- Thousands of volunteer hours in summer programs.